CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, December 6, 2008

THE JOYS OF CHRISTMAS

Well, I have seen a bunch of people blogging about their traditions at Christmas time, and posting different pictures of their Christmas decor. So I thought I would do the same, I think it will be fun for my kids to look back and see what their house was like growing up. Also alot of our Christmas decor, as been handed down to us and holds a special place in my heart.

This first picture is our tree up stairs, it doesn't have a ton of ornaments. Lets just say I like things neat and clean! This tree used to be Gp. and Gm. Udy's. after Gm. passed away Gp. settled for something a little simpler, and We inherited this one. The first few years I decorated it w/ the help of Becki with all of Gm. ornaments. Gp. & Gm. always had Bowcutt's come and set it up and decorate it for them, it was always absolutely beautiful. I'm sure those of you who knew Gram can just imagine:) Last year I thought I would change things up a bit, and decorate it with my own touch.

When James and I got first got married I bought a little nativity, it was very simple. But a few years ago our Relief Society was doing a progressive Christmas dinner (I think that's what it's called when you go to different house and eat?) and I was one of the hosts. I wanted everything to look just right, I was talking w/ James' mom about the dinner and all my decor. She said that I could take her nativity and set it up, I was thinking no way what if something happened or the kids got playing with it. But I decided to take it and it looked so beautiful, I love it! She later said that We could just have it, all of her older kids have one like it and she wanted James to have one too.
When I was younger my mom used to display and still does her nativity on top of her piano. She puts angel hair and clear lights under it, so I kinda picked that up from her. I think it just makes it look so elegant, especially as it gets dark out.

Our train! Well James' mom's little boy always loved her train. So one year for James' birthday she gave her little boy a train of his own. And lets just say James' little boy loves the train too. It's Kobe's favorite part of putting up Christmas:)
Our tree downstairs, I like my tree up stairs to be a little more fancy. The one down stairs is just kinda fun and I let the kids do all the decorating. (okay I do help a little bit) This little tree was passed down to us by James' sister Sara Jane. She used to live on her own, and when she got diagnosed w/ cancer she moved home. So the first year We were married she gave us this little tree, she had it for a few years and We've had it for 12yrs. so it's kinda getting worn. But now that Sara Jane has passed away, it's something I like to put up each year to remind us of her. She was always so sweet, and very giving.
Then this next picture is a sample of the ornaments that We decorate this tree with. James' sister Kenna is very talented and hand painted them, there is a angel, a moose, gingerbread men, santa, a ballerina I could go on and on. They are all adorable, but this one is my fav.

So that's just a few pics. and a little history behind Christmas at our house.

5 comments:

Jamie Kent said...

Nice decorations! I love your Christmas Cards!

Our Newman 6 said...

I love this sharing of the Holidays it makes us a feel apart of everyones traditions. I love your decorations and I do remember your Grandma Udy and her special ways she was such a beautiful, sweet annd friendly lady I loved her. Your decorations are darling.

Anonymous said...

BEAUTIFUL!!! I love your Gma' Udy's tree because I know how much it means to you.

j.evans photography said...

I love all the traditions that you have! I find myself doing a lot of mom's traditions this time of year. I love the decorations on the upstairs tree. I sure miss grandma this time of year and her beautiful decorations!

Darcie said...

I love all your decorations. I like the angel hair nativity, it reminds me of my grandma, she had a lot of that angel hair with lights underneath.
I think I need to buy some more decorations after christmas. I would love a new tree.

MaNdI * KoBe * JaMeS * MaDdI